Sunday, March 27, 2011

"WRINKLE-TITS " AND VINTAGE BOTTLE CAPS

As I mentioned previously that when I was 12 years old ,I cleaned my fathers barber shop. I liked having some coins jingling in my pockets so I also got a job on Saturdays delivering bread and pastry on a bread truck. Yes ,that was at a time when the milkman and the breadman were as normal a sight on the streets as the mailman. The nice fellow that took me on as his helper was named John. He paid me the fabulous amount of $3 a day. The equivalant of 30 large ice cream cones per week. I always seemed to guage my wealth in earnings by how many cones my pay could purchase. Not that I did. Early Saturday mornings we would drive to the bread depot [Canada Bread] and I would load the truck while John did paperwork. Off to Brampton we would go. In those days we went to the homes on our route every two days.We would go to the same homes on Tuesday, Thursday And Saturdays. The other half of the route would see our smiling faces on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. There was always a pouch around my waste to collect money. It was aptly named ,"The Pouch". I learned math real fast. Always scribbling down the prices of purchases as they were taken out of my big, humungous, wooden basket. I had a favorite house that I would go to. You see, I always had to hold the basket up as a courtesy to the patrons so that they would not have to stoop or bend down much.This Lady always answered the door after my knock and yelling the word ,"baker," in her housecoat. From the first I noticed that when she bent over to look at my wares I could see that she had these "wrinkles "on the top of her boobs. [ Years later I would come to the realization that these were "stretch marks"] The lower my basket was held ,the more I could see. It got to be a contest almost. How low could I hold that basket before her arm would automatically go to covering her chest. The last time I tried was when John said to me as I was heading to her door was, Don't hold the goods so low for "wrinkle-tits, I think she's on to you." Well that was that.
My Mom. What a terrific person. She was the mother that on a cold winters day I would always find a candy or two that she had slipped into my coat pocket. When I worked on the bread route she would give me a bottle cap for my pop bottle. That way it would stay fresh and not spill. I MISS HER.
These are the type of caps we used. One for small ,one for big.

Trivia: Kissing can cause wrinkles.

Did You Know?  Eighteen year old Jack Hyde from Oxfordshire, England, had his driver's test canceled because the examiner found crumbs on his car seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment